I went into labour... at my best friend's wedding

The morning of my best friend's wedding I woke up from a bad nights sleep, strangely feeling full of energy and ready to take on my role as bridesmaid.

I was 38+6 days pregnant and feeling a little nervous about being a week away from my due date. I had lost my plug a week ago and was having never-ending Braxton Hicks a few days before. A few hours into hair and makeup, I was getting severe back pain on and off, obliviously, I continued to enjoy the morning getting ready. Everything was going good, and I'd made it through to speeches. But then I started feeling really uncomfortable, I felt faint period pain and the back cramping was back. I got up for a dance to move my hips which helped and I started feeling good again.

9 pm came around, and we decided it was time to call it a night. We said our goodbyes and I kid you not we were on our way to our car, and I had my first real contraction. I couldn't walk or talk through it. No more came, so I got in the car to drive home. Half an hour from home and I said to my husband, "Ummm, can you get your timer out?" He gave me a weird look and asked why? I said: "I think I'm definitely in labour." I was utterly oblivious of being in early labour throughout the day. He was discretely looking panicked.

We made it home and spent the next few hours at home until I couldn't handle the pain. I was 4cm when I presented to the maternity ward around 11:30 pm on Saturday. Everything was going well, bubs was really low, and I was fully effaced. My body was ready, and I was coping with the birthing ball, showers and different positions. Four hours later, I had progressed to 5cm. I started the gas at this point as my contractions were so close together; it felt like I didn't catch a break. What felt like a whole day later (another 4 hours) there was so much pressure down there I felt like the baby was going to fall out. Sadly, after another internal, I hadn't progressed at all. Realising it was a long road ahead I asked for the morphine shot, which just took the edge off things.

Another 4 hours (we are now up to a total of about 15 hours of active labour) I had another internal. The morphine was wearing off, and I hadn't dilated any further. At this point, I was desperate and asked for the epidural. Finally, I could breathe. Fast forward another 4 hours and still no progression, so my waters were broken, and I was given the drip to speed up my labour. And yep, you guessed it... another 5 hours had passed and still nothing, I was still 5cm, and bubs had actually completely moved from being engaged. Twenty-five hours of labour and my body had stalled.

Shortly after we decided to proceed with an emergency c-section due to the labour not progressing, we met our beautiful boy Hamish, born at 39 weeks gestation, weighing 8.9 pounds, finally!



To the extent permitted by law, Tiny Hearts excludes any liability, including any liability for negligence, for any loss, including indirect or consequential damages arising from or in relation to the use of this blog content.

This blog  may include material from third party authors or suppliers. Tiny Hearts is not responsible for examining or evaluating the content or accuracy of the third-party material and it does not warrant and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, will not have any liability or responsibility for any third-party material. This blog was written for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Nothing contained in this blog should be construed as medical advice or diagnosis.The content on our blog should not be interpreted as a substitute for physician consultation, evaluation, or treatment. Do not disregard the advice of a medical professional or delay seeking attention based on the content of this blog.  If you believe someone needs medical assistance, do not delay seeking it. In case of emergency, contact your doctor, visit the nearest emergency department, or call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

The author of this information has made a considerable effort to ensure the information is in-line with current guidelines, codes and accepted clinical evidence at time of writing, is up-to-date at time of publication and relevant to Australian readers.