Meeting Jamie



At 39.6 weeks, I woke up with contractions. With my first son, my waters broke first, so I knew I was in labour. This time I was unsure. An hour passed, and the pain intensified, so I started timing the contractions. They were close together and painful. At 6am, I messaged my midwife, explaining how I was feeling. I didn't hear from her until 7am. During that time, I was labouring at home just like I previously had. When I spoke to her, she told me to keep doing what I was doing, try a warm shower and heat compress and see how I progress. 

By 9am, I was crying with each contraction. When I finally got into the shower, I spent 20 minutes there with contractions still coming in hot and heavy! When I got out of the shower, I could already feel the pressure behind. I knew we were cutting it close. 

During my entire pregnancy, I had a fear that I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time to deliver my baby, and I almost didn't! I rang my midwife, and we decided to meet at the hospital. I got dressed, and my husband and I left straight away. I screamed and cried the entire 20 minutes there. We arrived at the hospital at around 10:40. I got wheeled in and was taken straight into my birthing suite, my midwife still hadn't arrived yet, but I thought I had a lot more time as my first son's labour was over 35 hours long! I had a few painful contractions, but that was still manageable. Before I knew it, the contractions, pressure and urge to push were intense. I was kneeling by the edge of the bed, not knowing what to do when those contractions hit. It's a pain like no other. I knew he was coming, and it was time, my waters finally broke, and I took off my underwear. 

My midwife informed me that she could already see his head. With a few pushes and mostly little puffs, my second baby boy was born in not even 5 minutes from the time I started pushing. Still on my knees, my midwife caught him as he came out, handing him straight to me, where I grabbed him and pulled him straight onto my chest. 

He was born at 11:13. Not even half an hour after we got to the birthing suite. It was such an incredible and special moment. The labour was incredibly difficult, but it was so empowering. I didn't have an epidural and was able to move freely and give birth on my knees without being hooked up to any monitors. There weren't any interventions, and I didn't tear. I felt incredible. My body and my baby did it.

Birth & newborn course


The Bump, Birth & Beyond course will educate you and your co-pilot (support person) on what to expect during pregnancy, birth and the first trimester with your new little love.

  Buy Now

To the extent permitted by law, Tiny Hearts excludes any liability, including any liability for negligence, for any loss, including indirect or consequential damages arising from or in relation to the use of this blog content.

This blog  may include material from third party authors or suppliers. Tiny Hearts is not responsible for examining or evaluating the content or accuracy of the third-party material and it does not warrant and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, will not have any liability or responsibility for any third-party material. This blog was written for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Nothing contained in this blog should be construed as medical advice or diagnosis.The content on our blog should not be interpreted as a substitute for physician consultation, evaluation, or treatment. Do not disregard the advice of a medical professional or delay seeking attention based on the content of this blog.  If you believe someone needs medical assistance, do not delay seeking it. In case of emergency, contact your doctor, visit the nearest emergency department, or call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

The author of this information has made a considerable effort to ensure the information is in-line with current guidelines, codes and accepted clinical evidence at time of writing, is up-to-date at time of publication and relevant to Australian readers.